- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thighs), cubed into 1/2 – 1″ pieces
- 1/4 c. + 1 Tbsp. tapioca flour, divided
- 4 sesame oil, divided
- 1/2 salt
- 1/4 pepper
- 1 fresh orange juice from 4 large navel oranges
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1/3 coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 2Medjool dates, pitted, soaked in hot water 2 minutes
- 2 rice vinegar
- 1 white/yellow miso paste, optional
- 1/2 ground ginger
- 1/2 red chili flakes
For the Lettuce Wraps:
- 2heads butter or romaine lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- 2 cooked cauliflower rice (or white/brown rice)
- 1bunch scallions, sliced on the bias
- 1can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cucumber matchsticks
- 1/2 shredded carrots
- Cube the chicken into 1/2 – 1″ pieces. Whisk together 1/4 c. tapioca flour/starch, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Add the chicken pieces; toss to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tsp. sesame oil. Wait until the skillet hot, then add the chicken. Pan-sear, without touching, 3-4 minutes, then flip and continue cooking until chicken is done and golden brown on all sides.
- While the chicken cooks, make the sauce.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the orange juice, orange zest, coconut aminos, garlic, soaked Medjool dates, rice vinegar, miso paste, ginger, and chili flakes. Puree until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 Tbsp. tapioca starch with 1 Tbsp. cold water. Pour into the pan with the orange chicken. Continue to simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens, another 5-10 minutes.
Spoon the chicken and cauliflower rice into the butter lettuce leaves. Top with scallions, water chestnuts, shredded cabbage, carrots, cucumber, and more chili flakes.